15 E. Midland Avenue, Paramus, New Jersey 07652

Making Your Health Care Preferences Known

Does your family know your wishes regarding health care decisions and financial matters? Even if your family does know what your wishes are, it can benefit you to have legal documents providing directives in the event you become ill or incapacitated. Our law firm can establish a durable power of attorney and a living will — two documents that may become necessary for many families.

Are you interested in learning more about how a power of attorney or living will can be included in your estate plan? Please contact a lawyer from Whitlock Canter LLC today to arrange your consultation. Based in Paramus, we serve clients in both New Jersey and New York.

Power of attorney

A durable power of attorney is a legal document that designates a person who will act on your behalf regarding financial matters. The person who is given the authority to act on behalf of the individual is called an “attorney-in-fact.” He or she will make financial decisions in your best interest when you are no longer able to. Without a durable power of attorney, family members are left pursuing lengthy and costly incompetency proceedings to appoint a legal guardian. Powers of attorney also allow elder law plans to be carried out upon incapacity if the document so provides.

Living will

A living will is also known as an advance health care directive. This document declares your wishes regarding the use of life-sustaining treatment in the event you become incapacitated. This may occur because of a terminal illness, coma, or other serious medical situation where you are unable to communicate your wishes. The living will authorizes doctors to follow the instructions contained in the document.

Through a Health Care Proxy or combined Advance Health Care Directive, you may also designate a health care representative to make any necessary medical decisions on your behalf should you become incapacitated. Contact our New Jersey firm to learn more about these important documents and how we can help you.